Watch the video above or follow these steps to add classes and assignments to your calendar:
- Click on the calendar on the day and time you want to begin the schedule for the class,
- Or, click on the day in the all-day section at the top.
- Choose “Class” in the dialog that appears.
- Select the subject for the class from the Subject menu.
- Choose the student or students who will participate in the class in the For Whom menu.
- (Don’t include yourself – you’ll still see all the classes on your calendar).
CHOOSING THE SCHEDULE
The default schedule for classes is once per week, on whichever day you clicked to begin. The Starting date, and the start and end times, are also taken from your initial click. If you clicked in the all-day section at the top, the class will be set to have “No particular time”. The class is initially set to have no end date.
- To change how often the class occurs, choose an option from the When menu.
- To change the Starting date, click on the date field and select a new date from the calendar that pops up.
- To change the start or end time, click on the clock icon next to the time, and choose the new time from the pop-up.
- If you change the start time, the end time will automatically update to keep the same duration for the class.
- Changing the end time will allow you to change the duration of the class.
- If you choose an end time earlier than the start time, the field will be shown in red, and you will be unable to Save your work until you choose a new time.
- To choose an end date for the class, click on the Until field, and select a date from the calendar that pops up.
- You don’t need to choose an end date now. You can edit the class later and choose an end date.
- There is a row for each day on which the class is scheduled in which you can enter an assignment for that day.
- To add more assignments to a day, choose “Add another assignment to this day” from the “More…” menu.
- The top section is for recurring assignments. Assignments entered here will appear every class day.
- You can hide the recurring assignments from the list by unchecking the “Show recurring items” checkbox.
- (the recurring items will still appear on the calendar)
- Rearrange assignments by dragging and dropping them.
When you have more than one student in a class, some additional features are available.
- Assignments entered on the Shared Assignments panel will be assigned to all students.
- Assignments entered on an individual student’s panel will be assigned to only that student.
- The shared assignments are also displayed on each student’s panel, marked by a special icon.
- You can hide them by unchecking the “Show shared items” checkbox.
- You can edit the text for a shared item on a student’s panel. The text will be unchanged for the other students.
- You can drag and drop shared items on a student’s panel. The assignment will remain on the original date for the other students.
- Shared assignments that have been rescheduled for a student will have a red exclamation point over the icon.
Watch the video above (1:36 minutes) or follow these instructions:
- To enable attendance tracking for a student, first open that student’s profile (see How To: Edit a Student’s Profile).
- Next, select the “Attendance” tab on the left:
- On the attendance tab, check the “Track attendance” box
The controls for recording attendance will appear. There is one section for each school year you have set up (new sections will be added automatically as you create new school years in the future). At the top of each section is a summary of the attendance for the school year. The first column shows the number of school days elapsed so far, and how many of those were marked as present or as absent. The second column shows the number of school days remaining, and the third column shows the totals of the first two columns.
Below the table is a calendar showing all the days in your school year. To save you time, Homeschool Planet automatically marks students as present each day. To mark your student as absent on a particular day, just click on that day to turn the green check to a red X.
You can use the “Print” button, to the right, to print a copy of the summary table for your records.
Once you set up attendance tracking for a student, you will find that Homeschool Planet puts a checkbox on the calendar to make it convenient to mark attendance each day. There is also a small calendar icon to the left of your student’s name; clicking that icon brings you directly to the Attendance tab for that student.
Watch the video above, or follow these steps:
- Edit the student’s profile, by clicking on his or her picture in the “My Family” panel and choosing “Edit Profile”.
- Select the “Login” tab, on the left side of the profile window.
- Make sure that the “Allow this student to log in” box is checked.
- Enter a unique password for this student in the Password field.
- Initially, students are allowed only to view their own calendar (and to mark assignments as completed). You can allow them to edit their own calendar, and to see or edit other students’ calendars, by checking the appropriate boxes at the bottom of the Login tab.
- Also initially, students have access to the “widgets” feature, allowing them to select and configure any widgets they choose. You can disable the widgets from the student’s login by unchecking the “Allow this student to see and update widgets” box.
Suppose you use Homeschool Planet, your spouse uses Google Calendar, and your high school student’s Calculus Co-op teacher uses Apple iCal, and you’d all like to see your student’s class schedule in your respective calendars. You can do that with Homeschool Planet’s Share In and Share Out features. Watch this video for more information.
Our Lookup Widget is a convenient way to simultaneously search a number of Internet resources for information on a particular subject. Studying Abraham Lincoln? Use the Lookup Widget to simultaneously search Wikipedia, Amazon, and Google for information on Abraham Lincoln.