What are the advantages and disadvantages of homeschooling planning online vs. with a paper planner? Find out which one is right for you and your unique family!
Ask any veteran homeschool parent and they will agree that planning can make or break your homeschool!
Planning In Your Homeschool Makes All The Difference
No matter what tools you choose, the reality is that homeschool life requires some sense of strategy and organization. Whether it’s figuring out which days to complete what subjects, keeping track of attendance for your state homeschool requirements, or communicating with your children to let them know which homeschool lessons are on the docket for the day, having a plan means having some sanity in your homeschool.
A good plan however, is only valuable if we find ways to actually implement it. This is where a homeschool planner can be a game changer.
Let’s take a look at the various options for homeschool planning, from paper-based to digital resources that help you keep your learning (and your life!) on track.
The Pros And Cons Of Paper Planning
Paper planners are the original planning resource for homeschoolers. The fact is, most homeschool parents were raised in a time without any online options. Paper planning was the only choice available for most of our lives.
There are those of us that adore our paper planners. Here are a few of the most popular advantages for paper planning in your homeschool.
- Paper planners are tactile and artistic. If you have spent any time watching paper planning videos on YouTube, you know that for some, planning on paper is actually closer to art. For the most creative and tactile parent, paper planning may be the best choice.
- Paper planners allow us to write with pen to paper, increasing our retention. There are studies that show when we physically write something down, we are more likely to remember it.
- Paper planners are familiar. Truth be told, for many of us, paper planners are simply what we are most comfortable with, because it is all we have ever known. The thought of trying something new, especially technology related can feel overwhelming.
Of course, there are also disadvantages to paper planners, especially in homeschooling. Paper planners can be bulky and difficult to carry around, increasingly so if they include lesson plans for the entire family! They can also be easily lost or damaged.
Perhaps one of the greatest drawbacks of paper planning is how difficult it can be make changes and adjust based on your family’s needs.
The Advantages Of Online Homeschool Planners
As we have become more and more comfortable online, the good news is that more options are available for online homeschool planners.
Planning online offers a number of advantages over traditional paper planners, including:
- Accessibility and Portability: Online planners can be accessed from any device, so you and all of your family members can easily access your plans at any time.
- Customization and Flexibility: Planning online means you can easily add to or change lessons for the day, the plan for the week, and even the overall school year calendar with just a click of a button.
- Sustainability: Using an online homeschool planner means you print less, throw away less, and never have to start all over at the beginning of the school year.
- Easily Shared: Online planners often offer the ability to easily share your home, school, work and family plans with other users.
- Cost: Online planners are very low-cost compared with pricey paper versions. Plus, online planners can be used by more than one person, eliminating the need to buy multiple planners each year.
Online homeschool planning can be an absolute life saver for many families!
The Best Of Both Planning Approaches
Using both a paper and online planner can be a great way to get the best of both worlds. Paper planners offer the tactile experience of writing things down, while online planners offer features like automatic reminders and sharing.
The bottom line is, the best homeschool planner is the one that works for you!
The World’s Best Online Homeschool Planner
Homeschool Planet has everything a homeschool parent needs, when they need it, all in one place!
- Home, school, and work schedules in one place, available 24/7/365
- The ability to schedule classes, assignments, chores, field trips, sports practice, doctor appointments, and music classes plus more all in ONE convenient location.
- Separate login for each learner or family member.
- Offsite electronic storage and backup of all your student’s important information and records
Even if you have always considered yourself a paper planner, you can try our online planner for FREE for 30 Days with no credit card required!