Creating a homeschool schedule that fits your family is essential. Trying to implement a schedule that doesn’t suit the natural flow of your home can lead to frustration and set you up for failure. The first step is understanding that your schedule can be as unique as your family.
How to Find a Schedule that Fits
The purpose of a schedule is to provide a framework for carrying out a successful homeschool year. If your current schedule is causing you more stress than success it is time for a change. Forcing a schedule into your family will cause so much frustration that you may reconsider homeschooling. If you feel like you just can’t it all done then take a break and consider factors that may affect your schedule:
- What shift do you or your spouse work?
- Do you or your spouse work from home?
- How many children do you have?
- What are the ages of your children?
- What times of year are particularly busy for your family?
- What activities are your children or you involved in?
- What current obligations do you have?
- What type of learners are your children?
- Is your family filled with night owls or morning birds?
You may need to take a few days off of homeschooling to feel the rhythm of your home. You may discover areas in your schedule that you can trim or make more efficient.
When it is Time to Rethink Your Homeschool Schedule
There are other considerations when creating a schedule for your family. Do not allow your schedule to fit you into a box. There are times when you may need to adapt your schedule based on changes in your family. It is always best to adapt your homeschool to your life changes than struggle with a schedule that doesn’t work. Your current schedule may need to readjust based on some of these considerations.
- You or your spouse’s work schedule changes.
- You become a caretaker to a family relative.
- Transition to teaching a different grade level such adjusting to high school schedule for the first time.
- Vacation schedules
- Chronic illness in the family
- A family crisis
Remember your homeschool schedule doesn’t have to reflect the traditional schedule of school or another homeschooling family. Your family will ease into a comfortable homeschool life if your schedule is flexible and follows the flow of your family life.
Homeschool Planet has your back for any type of homeschool schedule. Homeschool Planet keeps your homeschool running like a well oiled machine through changes in your family life and schedule. Give it a try with our 30 day FREE trial!